Fedora 12 packaging

Fragen zur Installation von CONTENIDO 4.9? Probleme bei der Konfiguration? Hinweise oder Fragen zur Entwicklung des Systemes oder zur Sicherheit?
Antworten
monnerat
Fedora 12 packaging

Beitrag von monnerat » Do 4. Feb 2010, 14:36

Hi,

First of all, I would like to tell I do not understand german at all, and the topics I will talk about here are thus perhaps redundant: hard for me to understand the posts in this forum and the Contenido-related texts in general.

I have packaged Contenido for Fedora 12 in an RPM package: this is for inhouse use: although I'm also an official Fedora packager, I do not intend to submit it yet for official release, mainly because of the lack of english support/community and up-to-date documentation (why not reactivating sourgeforge support: apart from the download section, stuff there is very old).

In packaging it, I have been faced with two problems:

1) In 4.8.12, there is no way to have a single Contenido scripts installation for multiple distinct sites: I designed a patch allowing to specify the configuration file path on a site basis. Using this feature and symbolic links, it is possible to have a kind of "ghost" installation. The patch implements the use of environment variable CONTENIDO_CONFIG to specify the configuration file location. If this environment variable is not found, the path remains $cfg['path']['contenido']."includes/config.php" as before. Please find this patch, an apache configuration file and an "new site" instruction file in attachments.

2) PHP 5.3. The solution presented in the PHP 5.3 (as far as I can understand it!) will not survive PHP6 ! I then patched the 4.8.12 version to a real PHP 5.3 compatible version. Please find the patch in attachment.

I would also like to have a CVS/SVN/GIT repository access (at least read-only). This would ease to observe and follow what happens on the development side. Daily snapshot can be an acceptable alternative.

I hope my code contributions and my remarks will be useful for you.
Thanks for Contenido
Dateianhänge
patches-20100204.zip
Files mentioned in the text
(40.62 KiB) 194-mal heruntergeladen

Oldperl
Re: Fedora 12 packaging

Beitrag von Oldperl » Do 4. Feb 2010, 15:51

Hi monnerat,

first i wanna welcome you in Contenido forum. :-)

Thank you for contributing Contenido. I will check your patch later. Most of php 5.3 stuff is still done bei the dev team, but we will make a crossover check using your patch, maybe we missed something .
monnerat hat geschrieben:First of all, I would like to tell I do not understand german at all, and the topics I will talk about here are thus perhaps redundant: hard for me to understand the posts in this forum and the Contenido-related texts in general.
No problem, we have some english speaking users here and we will also restart our english spoken forum in the feature. We still have one but only for older releases, sorry for that. :roll:
monnerat hat geschrieben:I have packaged Contenido for Fedora 12 in an RPM package:
Thats nice, but i think not really needed. Maybe a package for Plesk´s application vault or so would be more intresting.
monnerat hat geschrieben:...the lack of english support/community and up-to-date documentation (why not reactivating sourgeforge support: apart from the download section, stuff there is very old).
Little english support is present, but we will do more in the future.
SF.net support was stopped by 4fb, i don't know the reason for it. Just ask 4fb directly.
Documentation is a good point. Meanwhile th community has done some stuff, so there is a wiki, there is an API-Doc (still 4.8.11 but i am working on it) and we will have an updated FAQ next, upgrade of FAQ-script, Design and new features, and i will try to serve it in two languages (german/english) if i find someone helping me.
monnerat hat geschrieben:In packaging it, I have been faced with two problems:...
  1. That's true, but that wasn't intended by Contenido in the past to be used for a webhoster to serve for his customers. Maybe someone will check out your patch and report here.
  2. As i told you before, this is still in development and will be implemented in the next release.
monnerat hat geschrieben:I would also like to have a CVS/SVN/GIT repository access (at least read-only). This would ease to observe and follow what happens on the development side. Daily snapshot can be an acceptable alternative.
Repo access will only be granted to devteam by 4fb. You may try to contact 4fb asking for the status of a developer.
In the past we had daily snapshots, but that was stopped one day. Don't know why, so you have to ask 4fb also for that.
monnerat hat geschrieben:Thanks for Contenido
Thank you for your help. :-)

Regards

Ortwin
ConLite 2.1, alternatives und stabiles Update von Contenido 4.8.x unter PHP 7.x - Download und Repo auf Gitport.de
phpBO Search Advanced - das Suchwort-Plugin für CONTENIDO 4.9
Mein Entwickler-Blog

monnerat

Beitrag von monnerat » Do 4. Feb 2010, 17:13

first i wanna welcome you in Contenido forum. :-)
Thank you !
Thats nice, but i think not really needed. Maybe a package for Plesk´s application vault or so would be more intresting.
Yes, that's needed if you want to keep track of the installed components in your system through a database. It helps uninstalling it or replacing it by a newer version. In addition, it adds a good dichotomy between Contenido's and user's files. In short, it keeps your system clean.

By the way, the company I work for is not a web hosting company: http://www.datasphere.ch/ :lol:
SF.net support was stopped by 4fb, i don't know the reason for it. Just ask 4fb directly.
Repo access will only be granted to devteam by 4fb. You may try to contact 4fb asking for the status of a developer.
In the past we had daily snapshots, but that was stopped one day. Don't know why, so you have to ask 4fb also for that.
Does 4fb read this forum ?

Thanks for your reply

Oldperl

Beitrag von Oldperl » Do 4. Feb 2010, 18:33

monnerat hat geschrieben:Thank you !
Your welcome. :-)
monnerat hat geschrieben:By the way, the company I work for is not a web hosting company: http://www.datasphere.ch/ :lol:
Nice homepage(s). Your work?
monnerat hat geschrieben:Does 4fb read this forum ?
Maybe - I hope so. :roll:
But i don't think they have time to read all postings. So if you really want to contact them just use the contactform on their website.
Otherwise if you need help with Contenido or it's core code, your welcome to use this forum. The forumusers and me will do our best to help.

Regards

Ortwin
ConLite 2.1, alternatives und stabiles Update von Contenido 4.8.x unter PHP 7.x - Download und Repo auf Gitport.de
Mein Entwickler-Blog

monnerat

Beitrag von monnerat » Fr 5. Feb 2010, 13:35

Nice homepage(s). Your work?
No. I'm rather involved with network solutions. With opensource software exclusively, preferably with an open developer community, like http://curl.haxx.se/. That's why I'm a bit disappointed with Contenido's opensource approach. See http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/monnerat.
So if you really want to contact them just use the contactform on their website.
I do not think I will contact them. I just wanted to share my work as a regular opensource developer's contribution. The 4fb website is a business-oriented site and the contact form is intended for customers, not contributors. If they wanted to have such contacts, they would have implemented pages for that. The drawback for them is they have to monitor this forum to get benefit from contributions, or simply ignore them :( I do not approve this strategy, but I respect their choice.
Otherwise if you need help with Contenido or it's core code, your welcome to use this forum. The forumusers and me will do our best to help.
Thanks for your kindness and availability. I'll do it or redirect local contenido users to you if in such trouble case.

All my bests,
Patrick

P.S.: In my own contenido's wishlist, I've also noted: "a complete french translation" :)

Oldperl

Beitrag von Oldperl » Fr 5. Feb 2010, 13:54

Hi Patrick,

but you have seen contact form on contenido.org? :arrow: http://www.contenido.org/de/cms/Kontakt ... 111-3.html
monnerat hat geschrieben:P.S.: In my own contenido's wishlist, I've also noted: "a complete french translation" :)
Do you know someone who has translated Contenido to french language. If so, i can offer integration to one of the next releases to her/him. :-)
monnerat hat geschrieben:I do not approve this strategy, but I respect their choice.
FACK, me too. But we're working on that, i hope there'll be some changes in future. Firsteval we will do some work with the FAQ, cleaning up the forum and try to get a better documentation for Contenido. Help is always welcome. :-)

Regards Ortwin
Mein Entwickler-Blog

monnerat

Beitrag von monnerat » Fr 5. Feb 2010, 15:09

but you have seen contact form on contenido.org? http://www.contenido.org/de/cms/Kontakt ... 111-3.html
No. If you try to follow the Contact link from the home page while in english interface, it just says "Truetype-Directory is not readable!" :cry:
Do this contact form goes to 4fb ?
Do you know someone who has translated Contenido to french language.
No. That's just something I would have left at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=415179 if these pages were still alive ! And think I'm not the good person for such a translation: The way Contenido is "german-oriented" makes me think a translation from english only would not be good enough.
Help is always welcome
I may eventually participate, providing my "german-handicap" does not block me. Are you the coordinator ? I think someone has to globally manage the task, coordinate the efforts and distribute the work. The overall project, existing documentation and website are too "misty" for me yet to know in which direction I may start by myself.

tschüs,
Patrick

Antworten